Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sea Otters


   "What in the world?" I was sitting in my recliner looking out over the ocean. It looked like a big log floating through Western
Channel. "That would sure bugger up a boat if they hit that on the way in tonight," I thought, as I grabbed the binoculars for a closer look.
  The "Log" suddenly came to life as I cranked up the power on the bino's. Sea Otters!
  I raced to set up the spotting scope for a closer look.
  "You've got to see this!" I sputtered to my wife, "You won't believe your eyes!"
  She raced over to peer into the lens.
  "Wow! Look at all of those Otters!" she murmured as she squinted for a better view.
  The otters were about a half mile from our window and were moving at a quick pace with the wind and tide. It was a trick to keep them in the
spotting scope view.
  "There must be over 50 otters in that raft," I said, adjusting once again to keep up with them.
  "I've never seen so many in one group," René commented, "especially this close to town.”
  I certainly have never observed a raft of that many sea otters this close to town. I have traveled into bays where thousands of them were rafted for the winter, but that was a full day's run from Sitka. These little buggers were right outside of town.
  Goodbye crabs, clams, and any other shell fish that might be living under them.
  It sure was fun spending the evening observing them. Better than watching Planet Earth for sure.
  I love living in a place where the wild is so close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment