Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Free cookies

I was checking out at our local fishing gear store yesterday when a typical funny Sitka thing happened.
Pat and I were chatting while he rang up my purchase when the door of the store opened and in strolled a fisherman. Nothing strange about that, but as he opened the door a huge Heinz 57 dog burst into the store. He raced for me at the counter, and for a moment I thought he was going to attack. He screeched to a stop then muscled his way beside me so he could stand with his front feet on the counter and look the clerk straight in the eye!
  "Why hello dog," Pat said, not a bit surprised. I was still calming my nerves from the potential dog attack.
  Pat and I both looked at the fisherman who had just walked in.
  "Your dog?" I asked.
  "Nope. Never seen him before," was his casual reply as he strolled back into the store.
  "Ok dog," the clerk said to the huge towering dog leaning over the counter, "come around and I'll give you a cookie."
  The big dog bounded behind the counter to his wonderful treat.
  "Sit... sit, if you want a cookie," Pat told the begging dog.  The big dog plopped his rear down, then received his treat.
He wolfed the big dog cookie down, then stood begging for another one.
  "Nope, that's all you get," the clerk said. "Now get back out the door!"
  The big dog found his way around the counter and headed for the door. He waited until it opened when another fisherman came in and headed out onto the sidewalk.
  "Whose dog is that?" I asked Pat.
  "No idea at all. He just comes in every once in a while for his cookie treat all by himself. He must head back home once he gets back out the door.
  "There are a few dogs in town that come in by themselves to get the cookies," Pat informed me.
  We both got a good chuckle about the beggars in town being dogs, not people.
  "Oh by the way, could I get a couple dog cookies for my two beggars waiting in the truck?" I asked as I headed for the door.
  Sure enough, my two were waiting for the cookies when I opened the door of the truck! Boy, did they enjoy the treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment