Sunday, April 17, 2016

Fishing With Dad

  "It looks like the wind might drop enough to allow us to fish tomorrow," I said to my parents over the phone. "Dad, would you want to go fishing for perch and crappie tomorrow?"
  The pause was not very long. "Sure, I'd be up for that," dad replied.
  I had been vacationing in Idaho for nearly a month chasing the fickle snow geese. I had to bump my plane tickets out one more week just to get a day without wind.All the days sitting in the goose blind wishing for wind, and calmness surrounded me. The day the goose season ended the wind decided to blow, and blow, and blow. Go figure.
  I had my new puppy riding on the seat beside me when I tuned into the drive way with a lump in my throat. How many times have I picked Dad up for hunting or fishing trips? Hundreds... for sure. We have been fishing and hunting since I was able to hold a gun or a fishing pole. As a child, I strolled behind my dad hunting jack rabbits, ground squirrels and such. We fished bluegills in the ponds around our area, then as I grew and left home, chased bass even taking a stab at the professional circuit. Dad came along to help me pre-fish for those tournaments.
  Dad, now pushing 97 years old still up for yet another fishing trip.
  I helped him get his warm weather gear out of the closet. Hats, gloves, and coveralls were in order for this chilly trip even though it was to warm up a bit in the day. The boat ride is always cold.
  The drive to C.J. Strike Res. seemed longer than usual and we had to slow a couple of times as morning fog banks blanketed the road.
  "Man, hope the range cattle stay off the highway in the fog this morning," I commented to dad, peering hard with my one good eye.
  So many things have changed through the years. My good vision being one. Loosing your best power eye effects one more than you can know, until it happens to you.
  At the lake I help dad into his coveralls and boots. We launch the jet boat. This is also a change. Dad and I went in halves on a jet boat many years ago. We just about wore the bottom out of that craft running lakes and rivers. So many good times were had by so many of us with that boat.
  "This will be the first time riding in the new boat," Dad said as I took the tie up line from his wrinkles hands.
  I helped him into the boat. It took more time and effort than in all the years gone by. Age is a cruel master to man and animal, taking more than it gives.
  I idled the boat through the no wake zone and throttled the boat forward. The big 140 engine caused the boat to leap out of the water. Hali, the puppy was on her first boat ride so I backed the throttle to just a mild speed.
  "Wow, this boat is sure solid compared to our old one, isn't it?" Dad shouted into the wind and above the roar of the engine.
  "It has tons of power," I shouted back and punched the throttle a bit to show him.
  I raced across the quiet lake to our first fishing spot and backed the throttle to an idle. Both of us wiped tears from our eyes, not from crying, but from the cold wind. Both of our noses were running.
  "Man, that was a chilly ride," I stated the obvious to dad as I dug out a couple of fishing rods.
  I looked at the little man dressed like an Eskimo and again felt a lump in my throat.
  I am so aware that this might be out last trip together. I must get back to Alaska and my life up there. One never knows when it will be the last trip with your love ones. Life is so fragile and short.
  We fish for a while thawing out a bit, but no fish to be found.
  "Let's make a move," I suggest to Dad. I pull the anchor and we race across the lake to another good fishing hole.
  "Hey, I've got one!" Dad said more surprised than the fish tugging on the line.
  "Alright get it in the boat," I cheer him on.
  Dad swings a nice crappie over the side of the boat and I help him get it off the hook and into a bucket of water.
  "Good job," I encourage him, "Now if we can just get a half a bucket more of them."
  Not another bite for an hour.
  "Time to move," I inform Dad again.
  We make a long run to the narrows where we have caught perch and crappie for so many years in the past.
  I drop the anchor in front of "our" tree. It does not take long before Dad again says, "fish on."
  "Ok, now your whipping me badly," I say to Dad, but I'm so proud of him.
  I was not sure he would even be able to fish or if he would remember what a fish felt like on the hook. I should not have doubted. I guess it's like a bike, once you learn it you never forget it.
  It took me most of the rest of the day to catch up with Dad's lead, but I actually did catch a couple of perch before the day was over.
  The fishing was painfully slow, but the great no wind day on the lake was worth it.
  Snow geese migrated overhead taunting me that the season was over, I laughed at them and enjoyed the sight of the smokey waves of birds in the clear skies.
  I kept asking Dad if he was ready to head for home of if he wanted to continue fishing. Each time he voted in favor of staying longer. I was happy to make the same choice.
  A new puppy with all the energy, and an aging Father. The paradox stared me in the face the entire day.
  I was thankful for both. For the new puppy, but more for the years that aged both my Dad and myself.
  I have little regrets concerning my Dad. We have been such good friends my entire life. Through some very stormy years of my life, I could have been more respectful, more patient, more caring. The turmoil inside carried to the ones I love the most, which is not all that unusual, and through it all Dad was solid as a rock.
  On our way back home we see a jack rabbit running beside the road, a memory from childhood. It was like the circle had been completed.
  the lump in my throat grew as I watched Dad and Mom's house grow small in my rear view mirror.
  I have been blessed by having the best parents I could have had. I am so thankful for them.
  Looking back, I have been unbelievable blessed in my life.

                                          Dad with our first fish

                                         Dad fishing dress for the cold

                                         Dad and Hali enjoying the boat ride

No comments:

Post a Comment