Saturday, November 9, 2013

Capture of the Summer

  My fishing summer is over, diving has been wrapped up, and my hunting is now in full swing.
  The rain continues to pour down here in South East Alaska, making the outside world a drippy place to be. Now is the time to dig through the summers photos and see if any I took are worth saving.
  Taking a picture from a moving boat, with the waves throwing you around is a bit challenging, to say the least. Most of my pictures are a bit out of focus, off center of frame, or just shots of bare water, sky, or my boots. Not an exciting addition to the family album for sure.
  I did happen upon a couple of shots that I'm quite proud of. here is the story that goes with it:
  "Reel them in," I instructed the clients, "Read 'em and weep, as they say in card playing."
  The end of another successful day was upon us. We were about an hour's run from town and it was time for us to high tail it that way.
  With the anchor pulled and the clients settled in, I headed the bow of the boat towards town. In the distance, towards shore, I caught a splash of white water out of the corner of my eye, nothing unusual for the ocean as the waves crash on the rocks all the time. It was a large enough splash of water to keep me looking in that direction.
  A huge dark form lifted out of the ocean and came crashing back down in a sheet of white spray.
  "Whale!" I shouted over the engine noise to the clients.
  "He is a long ways out there towards the shore line," I instructed, as we all stood with eyes glued to the far shore line.
  Another dark form that ended in sheets of white spray announced the whales presence to the clients.
  "Wow, look at that," they all shouted and raced for cameras.
  It took us quite some time to motor the three or four miles to where the big beast continued to breach.
  "Let's hope he keeps jumping until we can get close enough for some pictures," I commented as we cruised in his direction.
  We finally arrived near the area of the whale and I cut the engines with the boat still drifting towards it.
 "Whoosh!" Out of the water rose the huge dark form of the whale. He was close now and camera shutters were clicking like crazy.
  Everyone on deck cheered at the spectacular show this grand giant was putting on for us.
  We drifted for some time shooting pictures and chatting about what an amazing sight this was.
  It was the perfect end to a great day of fishing.


No comments:

Post a Comment