Sunday, September 2, 2012

A SPLASH OF COLOR


                Rain. It seemed this summer was made of rain. Each day started with pouring rain, but ususally settled into a mist or just a drizzle.
Soggy attitudes seemed to develop among the guides as days of rain turned into months.
  Out on the ocean there are only three colors during the rain, sky gray, mountain gray, and ocean gray. Each has a little different shade of gray.
  It is now August and still the rain continues. The clients and I finish a good morning of salmon fishing and I drop the hook (anchor) for halibut.
I quickly clean the slamon, using the salmon guts and gills for halibut bait.
  Each client drops a baited hook to the bottom in hopes of a halbut.
  I am inside the cabin filling out the log book for the morning salmon fishing when I hear a client exclaim, "Look at this bird!"
I glance out the window and there is a beautiful splash of color bobbing on the ocean behind the boat.
  "It's a Puffin," I exclaim.
  The little puffin is very close to the boat diving for the needle fish I had washed out the scuppers when I cleaned the salmon.
We all race for our cameras and click away. The little puffin seems to know he is the star of the show.
The rain is now forgotton as we ooh and ahh over his majestic head color.
  It always amazes me how one little splash of color can turn a drippy seeming summer into something bright.
  The clients and I chat about the little bird all the way back to the dock.
  If your world seems three shades of grey, look around for that one little splash of color. It sure can brighten your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment