Friday, July 6, 2012

Killer Whales

 Another great day was coming to an end. The clients chatted about catching fish as I motored the boat past St. Lazaria Island towards Shoals Point.
  St. Lazaria is quite an island. It is a nesting ground for many of the sea birds that are in our area. Puffins nest in the grass on the topside of the island. Murres nest on the cliff sides of the big caves on the west end of the island. Thick green grass covers the rocks up to tree line. The thick
Sitkan trees take over and squeeze out the grass on the top of the rock pile.
  I looked ahead and noticed something flash in the water ahead. "Probably a log or some kelp," I thought to myself, concentrating a little more.
  A huge fin sliced out of the water and into the air.
  "Killer Whale!" I shouted.
  More fins broke surface. We had a family of whales headed our way.
  I dropped the throttles into neutral, letting the boat settle quietly to rest.
  Everyone grabbed cameras and crowded the rail.
The big whales came right at us like we were just part of their great ocean.
  There was a big finned bull, a smaller finned cow, and a very small finned calf.
  "A family group of Orcas," I commented to the clients as they clicked picture after picture as the whales broke surface.
  The whales cruised just a few yards away from our drifting boat, never breaking stride in their rhythm of swim, blow, swim and blow.
  "What an incredible sight" one of the clients commented.
I totally agreed. As much time as I spend on the ocean and see such amazing sights, I still never tire of seeing whales, birds, otters, sea lions, and most of all, killer whales.
  As we approached town we all agreed that we had been blessed with one of the most amazing sights of Alaska.

1 comment:

  1. That is such an incredible sight. You are a 1st class Captain!!

    ReplyDelete